JAFCO-Jewish Adoption and Family Care Options
4200 North University Dr., Sunrise, FL 33351
Contact: Rana Bell, Director of Northeast Development, 610-397-8688 email@example.com
Rachel Levy, Licensed Social Worker firstname.lastname@example.org
234 S. Bryn Mawr Ave. Ste. 100, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010 610-525-1040
Established in 1992, JAFCO’s mission is to care for abused and neglected children and those with disabilities in the Jewish community and to work in partnership with families and the entire community. We believe that the care of children in our community is our responsibility, one we accept with joy, pride and love. Currently JAFCO is serving over 500 children and their families in the South Florida community through our complete continuum of services including the following core programs: Family Preservation and Strengthening, Foster Care and Adoption, Emergency Shelter, Group Homes, Mentoring, Independent Living. The JAFCO Jewish Children’s Village provides a safe and loving home to 50 children and is the only one of its kind in the Jewish community in the nation. Our new Children’s Ability Center provides Family Support, Child Enrichment and Respite Care for families with children with Developmental Disabilities.
We are proud to bring over two decades of expertise in the area of child welfare, family preservation and strengthening services to the Northeast Communities. Our goal is to use our expertise and experience to work in collaboration with existing local agencies to provide an immediate response to a family in crisis while creating an additional safety net for Jewish children who are at risk of abuse or neglect. The JAFCO Family Strengthening Program serves families in crisis (free of charge) addressing family needs with both direct services and intensive case management and referrals within the Greater Philadelphia Region. In the unfortunate event that a child is in need of a foster or adoptive home by ordered by the courts or as requested by a family member, JAFCO is establishing a foster care program to provide culturally appropriate foster and adoptive homes for children within the Jewish community and the community at large.
The following is a list of fun and successful Mitzvah Projects to choose from:
- Donate a portion of your Bar/Bat Mitzvah proceeds to JAFCO. Jewish scholars suggest that an appropriate amount for tzedakah is ten to twenty percent.
- Ask guests to bring a gift certificate from one of the following stores: Target, Walmart, Kmart, ToysRUs or KidsRUs to help provide food, clothing and birthday gifts for the JAFCO children and their families.
- Organize a drive to collect the following items: school supplies, summer camp supplies, toiletries, diapers, tickets to concerts, sporting events and theatre, etc.
- Fulfill one or a few Chanukah wish lists for the children of JAFCO and make their holiday dreams come true.
- Participate and request sponsorship for a sporting activity, run or walk, or even organize one around your park or community.
- Make your mitzvah into an art project and sell things that you have made such as cards, pictures, paintings, sculptures.
- Set up a yard or bake sale or lemonade stand in your yard
- Purchase a signature brick (donation of $180) engraved with your name and Bar/Bat Mitzvah date. The brick will be installed in the walkways of the Children’s Village.
- Invite friends and family to a Parlor Meeting
- Have a “baby shower” or “birthday party” to collect items that will benefit the children of JAFCO.