Abramson Center for Jewish Life
1425 Horsham Rd., North Wales, PA 19454
Contact: Mona Gold, Volunteer Director 215 371-1816
Since 1866, the Abramson Center for Jewish Life has been providing high-quality compassionate resources to seniors and their families, allowing them to age with choice. Services include: Care Advisors, Short Stay Rehab, Home Care, Residence Care, Medical Adult Day Services, Dialysis, Hospice, and Research.
The Abramson Center for Jewish Life is a nonprofit provider of services to seniors that includes nursing care, assisted living, hospice, adult day care, counseling for caregivers, and aging research.
Volunteer opportunities for your mitzvah project include, but are not limited to, one-on-one friendly visits, reading to a resident, working with residents in our tech center, working alongside staff during group activities such as games or arts & crafts, and aiding residents to their desired activities such as assisting residents who have a passion for horticulture, spending time in our green house or working in one of our gardens.
Busy schedules are a part of life. So, we also offer projects that can be done outside of the facility. These include collecting items to be used throughout the Center (i.e. books, games, DVD’s, etc.), donating fresh flowers from bar/bat mitzvah celebrations, donating plants for the facilities green house or making something for the residents (i.e. center pieces, jewelry, baking, etc…)
Specific Mitzvah project suggestions:
• Saturday Shabbat – transporting to and assisting residents to Saturday morning Shabbat services every Saturday from about 9:30am to about 12:30pm.
• Project SHEMA – multi-generational programming ran every Sunday morning throughout the school year. Allows the oldest and youngest generations of the Jewish community to interact and work together on religious activities, art projects, board games, etc. This is a great way to develop a relationship with the residents in a fun and relaxed environment while completing your Mitzvah project.
• Sunday Entertainment – transporting to and assisting residents to Sunday afternoon entertainment.
• BINGO Blast – A large group BINGO event takes place monthly, in the evening, this is a popular activity that many of our residents look forward to participate in.
• Holiday Services – Transporting and assisting residents to special services. The holiday services for 2016 are:
10/2 Sunday – 3:30pm
10/3 Monday – 10:30am
10/4 Tuesday – 10:30 am
10/11 Tuesday 6:30pm Kol Nidre
10/12 Wednesday 10:30 am, 2:30pm & 3:30pm
10/16 Sunday 3:30pm
10/17 Monday 10:30am
• Medical Adult Day Services Center in North East Philadelphia – Preparing baked goods for distribution at the Center or various craft projects for completion by Center participants. This can be done largely at home and the items brought in during its weekday operating hours.