Are you looking for a mitzvah project? We can help you – to help others!
Cystic Fibrosis awareness and fundraising for medical advancements in the treatment of this genetic disease.
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a chronic, progressive disease that affects the lungs and digestive system, as well as a multitude of other organ systems. Living with CF involves breathing treatments, multiple medications, frequent infections and recurrent hospital stays.
There are 30,000 people with CF in the United States and 70,000 worldwide. CF AND TAY
SACHS ARE THE MOST COMMON FATAL GENETIC DISEASES AMONG ASHKENAZI
Emily’s Entourage is named for Emily, an amazing local young Jewish woman who is fighting
this debilitating disease with determination and courage. The organization was started by
her family in effort to support current research that might save her, and many others—if
progress is made in time. To meet Emily and her family, visit www.emilysentourage.org
Please join Emily’s Entourage (EE) and help leverage the power of community to
make a difference in the fight against CF.
Here are some mitzvah project ideas:
1. B’nai Mitzvah with Meaning, Raising Awareness and Funds
(Consider any of the following)
- Educate your guests about Cystic Fibrosis and EE:
- Include an informational insert about EE into your invitation
- Incorporate information about CF and EE into your D’var Torah
- Highlight EE in your celebration décor, i.e. purple jelly bean-filled vase centerpieces, purple Shabbat candles, or tea lights wrapped in purple ribbon tied with an EE informational card at each place for guests to bring home (purple is the EE color!)
- Give EE T-shirts as your kids’ party “give-away”( To order shirts, see contact info below.)
- If you’re on facebook, you can encourage your friends to join the online photo effort showing people wearing their EE t-shirts near & far!(https://www.facebook.com/EmilysEntourage?fref=ts)
- Donate a percentage of your Bar/Bat Mitzvah gifts to EE
2. Play it Forward, A Fee-for-Entrance Sports Tournament
- Secure appropriate venue and equipment (think JCC, School Gym, Township facility or park)
3. Create for a Cure, A Group Craft Project
- Choose a craft project (knitting, candle/holder making, duct tape art, etc.)
- Find a venue and purchase materials appropriate for the craft you chose
- Send an e-vite with link to EE video
- Suggest an entrance fee for the event to be donated to EE
4. Car Wash for a Cure
- Invite friends to help with a car wash
- Find a location (parking lot, gas station, etc.)
- Send out emails to local guest list with link to EE video and time/place of your car wash
- Gather supplies — buckets, soap, rags & towels
- Donate proceeds to EE
5. Entertaining for Emily, Offer your Services to Raise Funds for EE
- help service/clean up at a party
- donate your proceeds to EE
6. Take a Breather for Emily: A Fun Day Out at a Nail Salon, Yoga Studio or a Similar Venue
- Ask your favorite salon, studio or the like to host and donate part of the days proceeds to EE
- Send an e-vite with link to EE Video and time slots for people to sign up for an appointment or designated time for the class
- Follow–up with an e-vite thank you after the event with an ask to “play it forward” by helping to spread awareness about EE to their friends and family
Come up with your own project idea!
Emily’s Entourage is so grateful for your willingness to consider a project on behalf of Emily. Please let us know what you would like to do as we are glad to help!
Contact: Liza Kramer www.emilysentourage.org or 610-664-3252