Looking for something for your 12 year old + child to do this summer. There are numerous tween and teen volunteer opportunities abound. No need to look any further than right here!
1. The Mitzvah Bowl Hundreds of organizations are listed with mitzvah and community service projects for children of all ages.
2. Teen Life Thousands of enrichment opportunities for teens are here.
3. Contact your local library. Many offer teen volunteer programs.
4. VolunTEEN Nation Older teens and college students search here from a wide variety of organizations.
5. Mothers’ helpers and babysitters are needed by many families with young kids in the summer. Also, contact preschool camps in your area for Counselor-in-Training (CIT) opportunities. (minimum age required for most camps is 13)
6. Looking ahead to Summer 2016, since most programs are filled at this point, look into when your local hospital is accepting teen volunteer applications for their summer program. Usually, applications are due by late February, early March.
7. International travel programs. Look into C.I.S.V. (Children’s International Summer Village) or Bold Earth. Many international experiences incorporate international friendships mixed with community service projects. Make sure you research a program’s credibility by contacting other families/teens who have participated.
8. United Way Local agencies hold daily activities in need of volunteers of all ages. Check out your local chapter.
9. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities are happy to have volunteers aiding with seniors. Call the home’s volunteer coordinator to find out what type of help they need.
10. Meals on Wheels A parent needs to be available to drive and help deliver meals, however, this is a very powerful way for a teen to give back to their community.
Send photos or tell us about of your summer good deed or service project.
Email: email@example.com. We may publish them on our site!
Happy Summer 2015!
The Mitzvah Bowl
(This article was reprinted and updated from April, 2013)